It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:11 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:21 am 
Broken Crown Founder
Broken Crown Founder

We currently have two tutorial series in process:
  • How to Develop a Cutscene in Unity3D
  • How to Create an RPG-style GUI in Unity3D

We'd get your input into other tutorials you may like to see! Just post your reply below, and we will see what we can do!

http://www.brokencrowngames.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:59 am 

The type of tutorial depends heavily upon the game type. However all the games i liked most had both an in game tutorial with "pop up" how-to guides, and a risk free "danger-room." This "danger-room" gives the player a chance to see how much damage weapon upgrades actually do and how they perform under stress. Here are a few games that I feel had great tutorials:

The X-men games for the GameCube- these games were pretty much button mashing until you got to the danger room, where you learned how to use new skills etc. New characters were always being introduced, having a place to test out their many moves before choosing the ones to level up was very nice. Practice also provided experience which was very helpful when you choose to skip the optional side missions.

Portal 2- This game didn't even have a tutorial, everything was learned in well paced context. Granted it worked with this game style very well and may not for others, but pacing is essential. We shouldn't be learning new things all at once without a chance to practice.

Mass Effect 3- This game had a shooting range with various targets and unlimited ammo, so you could see the exact outcome from the weapons you carry into battle and how the upgrades affect performance. The start of the game was too scripted though, taking you out of the action, and forcing you to re-learn how to shoot straight, run, etc. It's the 3rd game.... we know already.

Dead Space 3 Demo did something similar to Mass Effect, except the targets were actual enemies. With the weapon crafting system being totally overhauled, this was a required addition. A sniper rifle may be a one hit kill most of the time, but learning that it isn't all the time was very helpful with its small clip size, and even though a flame thrower has massive damage, its stopping power stinks, etc. The only complaints i have are that this feature was left out of the main game, and that the weapons in the final game did not match up with the weapons from the demo. Ammo counts and damage done changed drastically between the demo and the final product.

Gears of War 1- I like this tutorial because you can choose to skip it entirely, being forced to shoot straight, use cover, and run is common knowledge for most gamers, and having to sit through a tutorial can really take you out of the action. A good rule of thumb for a cover system is that it shouldn't need a tutorial. It should be second nature. No unnatural gravity wells forcing you into cover when you really just want to run somewhere, etc.

Assassins Creed Brotherhood- Ubisoft did this amazingly well, giving you a contextual "pop up" explanation of what you are about to do, then giving it to you in a low risk environment. They then take it further though by allowing you to pause at any time and review a tutorial on how to perform a specific skill, practice stealth, fight particular enemies, test combat combos, and use new equipment.

The Dishwasher Vampire Smile- Has a danger room that i love. Enemies constantly spawn but they don't attack. This gives you a chance to test out the large variety of weapons in a no risk environment. It also tracked your combat input, so if you mess up a combo, you see exactly what you did wrong. No more guessing if timing is off or not, because you can easily see what buttons you are pushing, and how the game interprets your input. I believe Mortal Combat did something similar.

There are other games that do this very poorly. Ninja Gaiden 2 for example. In short, there was none, and it was up to the players to find combos that worked. This meant finding enemies to test out combos on while they mercilessly punished your every mistake. They then ranked you on how poorly you did at the end of the level. I could go on, but i already said a lot.

In conclusion, I believe that in game tutorials are necessary, but should be kept to a minimum, and only used where context permits. However, players should be able to go into further depth if they choose to. In game this should be able to be done easily by hitting the pause button. At the very least, from the main menu of the game. Thanks for reading, I hope this helps.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]